Friday, February 3, 2012

Are You Nurturing Your Production Capability?

Nurture Your Production Capability
"Make every thought, every fact, that comes into your mind pay you a profit. Make it work and produce for you. Think of things not as they are but as they may be. Don't merely dream but create!"
- Robert Collier





"Use what you have to get what you want"- This is a popular quote that has been misused, misunderstood and underutilized by many people, including me. Society has made us believe that in order to make a name for ourselves, we have to follow the crowd and do what they do. This gives us the illusion of living the life when in actual sense, we're on the same bus with millions of others who are doing the same thing we do, using the same resources we use and heading for the same destination. When the journey finally ends, there will be no room for significance and this snaps us back to reality.


"We were created to achieve different things, using our unique resources"

In Steven Covey's book- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, He mentioned that we all have our unique production capabilities with which we achieve our dreams and live our purpose. He gave an example of a poor farmer who could hardly earn a living. One day, this man visited his favourite goose and found a golden egg. It continued to lay eggs and in a matter of time, he became rich by selling those golden eggs. Then greed and impatience creeped in. He wanted all the golden eggs at once, so he slaughtered the goose and opened it up. To his disappointment, he found nothing.

Your production capability is that resource which has the ability to give you produce, when you want and how you want it.
For the rich man, the goose was his production capability, those golden eggs were his produce and his wealth was the result of what he did with that produce.

We all have our goose which has been available to us but many of us have not found it. Your production capability is that potential or tool which has the ability to make you productive.

What's your goose? Is it your think-ability, your family, your partner, your friends, your pet or just that early morning cup of coffee? You'd be surprised at what makes some people productive.

Everyone's golden egg is different. It could be the ideas you get when you're around your loved ones, it could be the help you get from others as a result of a previous expression of kindness, or that simple thank you which you get from your boss for doing a great job. All these simply fuel you to continue.

If your talent is your goose, invest in it.
If your family is your goose, keep showing them how special they are.
If it's that cup of coffee that makes those ideas pour in, then keep drinking.
If it's your mind, empower it with all the inspiration and positivity you can get.

Find your goose and nurture it with moderation. Who knows, maybe those eggs will hatch one day and you'll have more geese to benefit from. And don't worry, they don't bite.

What makes you productive? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments.
Don't forget to share this post with friends.
If you enjoyed this post, you can subscribe here and receive new posts straight into your mail.  
  

14 comments:

  1. I like the dimension you've taken in this article. I don't think I can pinpoint one thing that makes me productive; it's more like a combination of things.

    "Your production capability is that resource which has the ability to give you produce, when you want and how you want it."

    I'd say that your production capability can take you to places; even the Bible says a diligent/talented man will stand before kings. I don't think thought that it is automatic i.e. giving your produce 'when you want and how you want'...it's more like a process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot of things can make you productive and most times, having only one is rare.
      Your goose can take you places depending on how you treat it and yes, receiving your produce is a process and is not done overnight.
      I appreciate your comment Oluchi.

      Delete
  2. What a great article! I was fortunate to hear Steven Covey speak once at a conference. I felt more motivated halfway through his speech!

    Like Oluchi though, I have a hard time pinpointing that one thing that makes me productive. It seems to change from day to day. So, I tend to just try and figure out what that day's motivation is and nurture it.

    Thank you for sharing!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing is that you try to find out your source of productivity, that's what this post is about. Knowing is will only make you more productive.
      Thanks for your comment Karen.

      Delete
  3. I don't think there is one universal thing that makes me productive. I guess it depends on the circumstances. For example it's Sunday morning and I know if I want to have lunches for the week, I need to be productive in the kitchen today. I enjoy this topic. To realize progress in our lives, it's always important to keep productivity at the front of our mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got the message John. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  4. I think it's my passion that makes me productive. I want to inspire kids to DARE TO DREAM BIG! That's why I write the books I write--to inspire kids to discover their own passions and to believe in themselves--even if it may sometimes mean standing alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I particularly love your blog Sandra, it inspires kids and adults alike. Thanks for your comment Sandra.

      Delete
  5. Working with children makes me productive. Engaging them in literacy activities that inspire them to question and wonder gives me energy. They're eager to absorb the world's adventures and gifts without question or apprehension. I love this post and I'm glad I happened upon it. I'll be subscribing to and tweeting about it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess your source of productivity is similar to that of Sandra. Knowing that you're making others productive is a good one. Thanks for your comments Pam.

      Delete
  6. wow this inspiring wish these could touch the world. Nice work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll touch the world, one day. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  7. I need to be better organized. I just deleted about 70,000 emails from 2 inboxes. With following and commenting on 200 blogs, the notifications pile up. After that ordeal, I clean out my mail when the day slows down.

    http://thedailyclimb.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think that's a start to increasing productivity. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete

Have any comment? Let's hear it.
Did you enjoy this post? You can subscribe here and receive new posts straight into your mail.